I started making this for breakfast potlucks. I needed a recipe that was inexpensive and easy to make before I left to work in the morning. Eight years later I still make them, but usually have to make two because it is so popular.
I make the topping the night before and leave it in the fridge. To make the topping you will need a pastry blender.
Use a pastry blender to combine the topping 1 cup of flour, 2/3 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 cup butter(cut into pieces)
The next morning I mix up the cake mix with a stand mixer. This will be quite thick. I use either white or a yellow cake mix. Mix cake mix, an egg, 1 cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup of oil, 1/2 cup water, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
The batter may be thick when you are putting this together. Grease the baking dish and spread half of the batter in dish. Sprinkle half of the topping over this layer. The next layer can be difficult to spread as the topping starts to mix in from the middle. Spread it as well as you can and then top with the remaining crumble mixture.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and then check to see if it is done. Test with a toothpick to see if it is done in the middle.
If I am bringing the cake for a potluck I usually bring it in a disposable pan. This makes for easy cleanup. The best way to bring this is straight from the oven. I had sewn the carrier to keep it warm and I can place the dish on top of the carrier acting as a hot pad.Print Recipe
Coffee Cake from a Cake Mix
- Pastry Blender
- 1 cup Flour
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ cup Butter (cut to make it easier to blen)
- 1 package White or Yellow Cake Mix
- ½ cup Water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ½ cup Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Use pastry blender to combine flour, brown sugar, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and butter.
- When combined it should apear crumbly.
- Cover and store in refridgerator untilready to use. I usually make this the night before.
Coffee Cake Batter
- Grease a 13 x 9 pan
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- With an electric mixer combine cake mix, water, egg, sour cream, oil and vanilla on low speed. Then beat for 1 minute on medium speed.
- Sprinkle a half cup of crumble mixture on bottom of the pan.
- Pour half of the batter over the crumble mixture and layer half of the crumble mixture on top.
- Pour remaining batter over the mixture andput remaining crumble on top.
- Cook for 30-33 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then serve.